Blog

Dementia Training For Businesses

Dementia Training For Businesses Image

May Purple Angels Be Abundant

Purple Angels?  What is that all about?  I am proud to say that my office staff and myself undertook instruction today on how to be a team that is even more “Dementia Friendly.”  Led by Geriatric Care Manager, Lisa Rodriguez, our training today was part of the Purple Angel Project, a Highlands County initiative that encourages local businesses and hospitals to be “Dementia Friendly.” 

Learning how to be more “Dementia Friendly” encompasses lessons such as what dementia is, what the signs of dementia are, and how to communicate with someone who has dementia.  We also were informed as to how not to communicate with someone that has dementia and who to call for help when in need.  In addition, we were taught the 10 common signs of caregiver stress so that we could better identify caregivers in distress. 

At the end of our in-depth session, our firm received a purple angel decal, the symbol of the Purple Angel initiative, that we now display outside the front of our office.  And we are hoping to see more purple angels out in our community by spreading the word to more businesses to become educated on how best to interact with those with dementia. 

The goal of being a “Dementia Friendly” community is to have a community where people living with dementia are supported to live a high quality of life full of meaning, purpose, and value.  For people with younger onset dementia, the also means being given the opportunity and support to stay at work and volunteer.

Did you know that Alzheimer’s is the diagnosis for 70% of all dementia cases?  Are you interested in knowing what composes the other 30%?  If you or your business would like to participate in this effective and rewarding program, please contact Lisa Rodriguez at (863) 449-0264.  

  • National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys - Florida Family Elder Law

  • Life Care Planning Law Firms Association

  • Florida Family Elder Law Office

  • Family Elder Law Lakeland Florida Area Chamber of Commerce Member

  • Family Elder Law Lake Wales Florida Area Chamber of Commerce Council Member

  • Family Elder Law Greater Sebring Florida Chamber Of Commerce Member

  • Family Elder Law Florida Bar Certified

  • Family Elder Law Florida Elder Counsel Member

  • Life Care Planning Law Firms Association

  • Life Care Planning Law Firms Association

Sign Up For Our Newsletter